Friday, April 2, 2010

Any way to fix picture links in Word?

For starters, I have to take all the blame for this one.

I renamed the parent folder of my Help project folder, and now all the generated Word docs for the previous release have lost their picture links.

Is there any utility or method in Word to re-link the pictures to the ''new'' location? Some kind of batch renaming of the picture links would be ideal, but I would settle for a one-by-one process.

Re-generating the Word docs is only a final alternative because of the amount of manual reformatting needed after the generation.

Any way to fix picture links in Word?

The documents you created should never lose the images in them. You either embed them in which case they are in the document or they are in a sub-folder off the folder with the printed document. There is no link to the source. Once a document is created you can do what you like with the project.

Sounds like something is missing from your explanation.


See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Any way to fix picture links in Word?

Solved my problem by renaming the parent folder back to its original name.

Earlier, I had tried creating a new folder, at same level as original parent, with the parent's original name, and copying the project into it. That appeared not to work. So I was slack-jawed when simply renaming the parent folder did work.

Other aspects remain puzzling. I had also tried saving as html to finally get a look at the picture links (which I never learned how to edit in Word). Opened the html version in Notepad %26amp; all the picture links appeared to point correctly to an Images folder, which was present and contained the images. Yet the pictures did not show in the html version either.

Something could certainly be missing from my understanding of the situation. But when one of our developers converted the doc to xml and looked in it, the link was an absolute path to the graphic, a path that included the parent folder name. When we renamed the parent, the pics came back.

I did upgrade Word versions from 2003, when generating, to 2007, but wouldn't have thought that would matter. Still, if Word handled the image path differently in html version than in xml version, it might also have done it differently in 03 than in 07.

In future, when generating a Word doc from Robo, I suppose I will simply damn the file size and embed all the pictures just to be safest.

Odd, I would have expected the link between the document and the images to be a relative path as it is one level down from the doc. Unless done that way, you would not be able to send the document and sub-folder to anyone. Oh well, you have it fixed which is what matters.

You might find Snippet 118 on my site interesting.


See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Thanks Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment